Sunday, June 7, 2009

Even the Little Ones Want to Help!

Aren't there such things as child labor laws!

Not only is she beautiful, she is strong enough to carry two buckets of water!

Or so it seems. It looks as though she is "fetching" water from the river. Not really. This is our grandaughter having a great time at the James River Association's annual lawn party in Richmond, Virginia. This is also the first time she has worn her new green dress.

This reminds me of when I was little and wanted to help my "papa" carry water from the pump from his house to the barn to water the horses, cows, and pigs. It was a long way to carry water and he did it with what appeared such ease even if he had to make multiple trips several times per day.

M & A, thanks for bringing back the memory.

3 comments:

K said...

This picture could have been one hundred years ago had it not been for the plastic buckets and the cool sandals. She is adorable and she has her "Papa" wrapped!

Mr. Inspired said...

I too remember helping my papa carry water from the house to the barn to feed the baby calves. He would fill a bucket up about half way for me to carry, and I would struggle hauling it up hill. Then he would carry two 5 gallon buckets filled to brim - that's 40 lbs in each bucket. I was always in awe.

K said...

And now that I am weeping over Massey's comment. Nannie carried a bucket full of water and a bucket with chop mixed with slop to the pigs from the area where you park now to the very back part of the area where the pigs were. Note: Nannie not Pa. Pa couldn't walk well due to polio so she did it until she was nearly 60. Maybe that is why she is still going strong at 93.